Sunday, May 13, 2012

The Shape of Heaviness

From here I can almost see the sea. I will know when they're coming; I'll see the little armies rise from the ashes of the sea.  They will ascend unannounced, terrifying; but somehow quiet. Slippers crafted from sadness, not a sound will be made made as they climb the shore. From here I cannot see their faces, only the shapes of their bodies.  Contrary to what we know about war and invasion they will not be men, nor will they be women-  sexless as angels. What will they carry in their arms?  Will their weapons be made of heaviness or lightness - a certain kind of  burden only Kundera can describe.

Some theorize the world will end in whispers.  But whispers are light and impermanent.  Their complacency floats away cruel and buoyant.  I see the end in the arms and mouths of these armies, quiet only until they reach the shore.  I can only hope when they rise their weapons to meet me, they are heavy.  Crafted of wood, brass and sun-drenched copper, with strings, reeds and hides - bows made of the strongest linen.  And when the weapons touch their lips they will make a sound that will lie down upon upon me, heavy and permanent.  Play me a song.

 We are most surprised by the weight and shapes of those things that can hurt us.

Summer Heart, I Wanna Go




Delta Spirit, Yamaha



Sharon Van Etten, We Are Fine





Noah Gunderson, Fire

While all other songs are from albums released in 2012, I just came across this live version of Fire and could not resist.  Noah Gunderson is yet another great artist from the Northwest and the soul and sound of this song feels, well heavy -in the most wonderful way.  Check out Family on Bandcamp.


The heavier the burden, the closer our lives come to the earth, the more real and truthful they become. Conversely, the absolute absence of burden causes man to be lighter than air, to soar into heights, take leave of the earth and his earthly being, and become only half real, his movements as free as they are insignificant. What then shall we choose? Weight or lightness?”
-Milan Kunderea

No comments:

Post a Comment